Ending fixed-term tenancy early

As a tenant you have rights under the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 and Residential Tenancies Regulation 2019. This factsheet sets out your legal options if you want to end a fixed-term tenancy agreement early in NSW. Please note that this factsheet is about ending a fixed-term tenancy (an agreement for a set period of time, e.g. 12 months). If you are in a periodic tenancy (an ongoing agreement where the fixed-term has expired or is not specified), please see Factsheet 09: You want to leave).

Leaving during a fixed-term tenancy

If you need to leave a fixed-term tenancy before it ends, you have options. You can:

  • end your tenancy agreement for certain legally specified reasons; or
  • break your tenancy agreement – end it without a legally specified reason (a break fee may apply); or
  • transfer your tenancy to someone else (you need the landlord’s written consent). 

Each of these options is discussed below. 

It is best to get advice before taking action to end your tenancy. You can contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service



Factsheet updated July 2024

This factsheet is intended as a guide to the law and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice. It applies to people who live in, or are affected by, the law as it applies in New South Wales, Australia. © Tenants’ Union of NSW.